Thursday, October 3, 2013

Unit 1: Advertising Analysis (Poison Control)


Not sure of what I should analyze and tired of looking for latest ads to analyze from on tv, I  decided to google the term “advertisements” and save time from going to waste. At first I saw a picture of a water grenade that caught my eye. Wanting to analyze it further I visited the page, the grenade picture was on, and I saw multiple brilliantly captured ads, and one in particular caught my attention. Considering the fact that I have younger siblings, I could easily relate to this picture. I think it was really clever on the advertiser’s part to use lenticular effect (showing two different images viewed with different angles) to render his point. My initial response to seeing this ad was disbelief. I really couldn’t envision the bottles being something as so contradicting as to the right side of the picture. This ad is really persuasive because of the comparison of an adult’s mindset to a child’s. This picture really illustrates to the audience of the minds of children and how they visualize certain things. People are unaware of the dangers of swallowing these lethal chemicals. According to the National Capital Poison Center stats, 17,622 Children Poison Exposure cases were found in the year of 2012. About 1,691 cases were for cleaners alone. The targeted audience for this ad can be defined to any households who have children, but seeing that mostly these cleaning chemicals are used by females it specifically pertains to Mothers. Because women handle a lot of what happens in a household, they can easily be careless of where they are placing cleaning chemicals. I can easily understand why and how a child might mistake something as so dangerous as cleaning chemicals as something to eat or drink.  What we see as laundry detergent, in a child’s cognizance, is snow. It makes me truly feel like I should be careful as to where I place such cleaning substances.  


Link to the advert I am analyzing: ( 3rd one )
http://www.rsvlts.com/2012/07/19/35-brilliant-advertisements/ 


Stats:
http://www.poison.org/stats/


No comments:

Post a Comment